Bolstridge.info a One-Name-Study Database
Incorporating Parsons / Gulliver / Hill genealogy
First Name:  Last Name: 
[Advanced Search]  [Surnames]

Family: Valentine Allen / Sarah Cragg (F907)

m. 10 Dec 1748


Family Information    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    All    |    PDF

  • Father | Male
    Valentine Allen

    Born  Jan 1722  South Croxton, Leicestershire, England Find all individuals with events at this location
    Died     
    Buried     
    Married  10 Dec 1748  [1, 2]  Saint Nicholas, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, England  [1, 2] Find all individuals with events at this location
    Father  George Allen | F2058 Group Sheet 
    Mother  Elizabeth UNKNOWN | F2058 Group Sheet 

    Mother | Female
    Sarah Cragg

    Born  Abt 1727   
    Died     
    Buried     
    Father   
    Mother   

    Child 1 | Male
    Thomas Allen

    Born  Nov 1749  Loughborough, Leicestershire, England Find all individuals with events at this location
    Died     
    Buried     

    Child 2 | Female
    Frances Allen

    Born  Dec 1751  Loughborough, Leicestershire, England Find all individuals with events at this location
    Died     
    Buried     

    Child 3 | Male
    + Valentine Allen

    Born  Feb 1755  Loughborough, Leicestershire, England Find all individuals with events at this location
    Died     
    Buried     
    Spouse  Mary Smith | F1811 
    Married  25 Dec 1781  All Saints, Loughborough, Leicestershire, England Find all individuals with events at this location

    Child 4 | Female
    Sarah Allen

    Born  Mar 1760  Loughborough, Leicestershire, England Find all individuals with events at this location
    Died     
    Buried     

  • Notes 


    • Nottingham, St. Nicholas
      The Parish
      St. Nicholas' Parish averages about 500 yards in length and 250 in breadth. It is bounded on the west by Brewhouse Yard, the castle wall, Standard Hill, the General infirmary and Park Row; and on the north by Chapel Bar, Angel Row and beastmarket Hill; whence its boundary, including the greater part of Friar Lane, passes in an irregular line behind the Friends' Meeting House and Independent Chapel, across Castle Gate to Greyfriargate, down which it passes to the Leen, which forms the southern limit of the parish.Its principal streets are Castle Gate, Houndsgate, Park Street, Rutland Street, St. James' Street, Mount Street and Park Row. It has its parish church, several chapels and other public buildings, one of which is Bromley House.

      The Church
      St. Nicholas' Church is a neat, brick edifice ornamented with stone, and like Saint Peter's, shaded by a number of trees. It occupies a pleasant situation on the south side of Castlegate, whence its large burial ground extends to Chesterfield Street and Rosemary Lane. The building was commenced in 1671, and finished in 1678, on the site of an ancient fabric which was destroyed in 1647. when a party of royalists took possession of it, and from the steeple so annoyed the parliamentarians in the castle, that they could not " play the ordnance without the woolsacks before them " , and the bullets from the church " played so thick into the outward castle yard, that they could not pass from one gate to another, nor relieve the guards without very great hazard " . The church, however, was soon set on fire, and the royalist obliged to fly from its falling ruins. The present edifice has a light and airy appearance, and has a tower with one bell, at the west end. It has a spacious nave and two side aisles. the southernmost of which was much enlarged by subscription in 1756; and a similar extension of the north aisle took place in 1733, when £500 was raised for the purpose. It has since been new paved and ornamented with a handsome pulpit and a reading desk, and also with a new gallery on the north side. The organ was erected in 1811. On each side of the communion table are elegant paintings representing the Good Samaritan and the Prodigal Son, and the walls are decorated with many neat monumental tablets, and four hatchments belonging to the families of Newdigate, Smith, Bromley and Cooper. The living is a Rectory, valued in the King's books at £2 1s 8d, now £216. It is, like Saint Peter's, nominally in the patronage of the crown, but virtually in the gift of the Lord Chancellor. The Rev. William Joseph Butler M.A. is the incumbent.

      White's Directory of Nottinghamshire 1853.

  • Sources 
    1. [S198] IGI, LDS, This is a submitted entry.

    2. [S378] Nottinghamshie Marriage Licences, Archdeaconry of Nottingham, ( British Records Society;), Dec 10 1748.
      Valentine Allen Bach 25 Years Grazier of Loughborough
      Sarah Cragg Spin of Gotham